|Module Name||Computational Mathematics|
|ECTS Weighting ||5 ECTS|
|Semester Taught||Semester 1|
|Module Coordinator/s||Prof Eamonn O Nuallain|
Module Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- To be able to perform error analysis on computational methods;
- To be able to understand and implement in Matlab fundamental computational methods;
- To be able to solve theoretical and applied mathematical problems using numerical techniques by hand;
- To gain an understanding of the range of applicability across disciplines of the material covered.
Topics addressed in this module include:
- Mathematical Background;
- Solving Non-Linear Equations;
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations;
- Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors;
- Curve Fitting and Interpolation;
- Numerical Differentiation;
- Numerical Integration.
Teaching and Learning Methods
Lectures, tutorials and in-term assignments.
Written examination, (3 hours, 100%).
|Assessment Component||Brief Description||Learning Outcomes Addressed||% of Total||Week Set||Week Due|
|Examination||LO1, LO2, LO3, LO4||80%||N/A||N/A|
|Assignment 1||Multichoice Matlab and|
|LO3 – LO4||6.66%||Week 2-4||Week 4-6|
|Assignment 2||Multichoice Matlab and|
|LO3 – LO4||6.66%||Week 4-6||Week 7-9|
|Assignment 3||Multichoice Matlab and|
|LO3 – LO4||6.66%||Week 7-9||Week 9-11|
Examination, delivered via Blackboard (100%).
Contact Hours and Indicative Student Workload
|Contact Hours (scheduled hours per student over full module), broken down by:||33 hours|
|Tutorial or seminar||11 hours|
|Independent Study (outside scheduled contact hours), broken down by:||113 hours|
|Preparation for classes and review of material (including preparation for examination, if applicable)||77 hours|
|Completion of assessments (including examination, if applicable)||36 hours|
|Total Hours||146 hours|
Recommended Reading List
- Numerical Methods for Engineers and Scientists by Amos Gilat.
Prerequisite modules: CSU11001, CSU11002, MAU22C00.
Other/alternative non-module prerequisites: Mathematics, Matlab.