In the Senior Sophister (fourth) year, students take a combination of subjects, of which at least 20 ECTS credits must be from business and 20 ECTS credits in Computer Science. The Computer Science Final Year Project is mandatory. The computer science modules offered to Senior Sophister students are shown below.
Current students should follow the links to the eLearning environment, (Blackboard), or to the module website or refer to my.tcd.ie for full details, including assessment criteria and learning outcomes.
Computer Science – Year 4
(Semester 2, 5 ECTS) This module concentrates on building upon the students SF years data
communications knowledge and introduces them to advanced topics in the areas of
data communications and cryptography.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) What is an Internet Application and how have these evolved?
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) This course will introduce you to the exciting new field of fuzzy systems and the related topics in machine learning and the so-called deep learning neural nets.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) Specification languages and logics; axiomatic program semantics. Formal proof
systems to verify software and system properties such as propositional, predicate
and Hoare logic.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) Develop sophisticated programs in a high level functional language.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) The module provides an introduction to the field of Human-Computer Interaction, focused both on understanding human interactions with technology and on the design of useful and usable interactive systems.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) The objective of this module is to equip the students with the fundamental understanding of the major elements of Computer Graphics and explore related areas including geometric modelling, rendering and animation.
(Semester 1, 5 ECTS) The aim of this module is to give students a firm understanding of the theory
underlying the processing and interpretation of visual information and the ability to
apply that understanding to ubiquitous computing and entertainment related
(Semester 2, 5 ECTS) Explain how high tech venture creation operates, with an emphasis on the processes developed by the Silicon Valley venture community over the past 20 years
(Semester 2, 10 ECTS) Instruction will be provided in Agile development methodologies and facilities will be provided in order to promote close collaboration between team members.
(Semester 1 & 2, 10 ECTS) The objective of this course is to introduce students to Strategic Information Systems in the workplace and society.
Year 4: Senior Sophister
- BUU44501 Strategic Management: Theory and Practice (10 ECTS – Semester 1 & 2)
- BUU44510 International Business & The Global Economy (10 ECTS – Semester 1 & 2)
- BUU44560 Managing People & Leading Change (10 ECTS – Semester 1 & 2)
- BUU44531 Financial Reporting and Analysis I (5 ECTS – Semester 1)
- BUU44532 Financial Reporting and Analysis II (5 ECTS – Semester 2)
- BUU44551 Advances in Marketing Theory and Practice (5 ECTS – Semester 1)
- BUU44552 – Digital Marketing (5 ECTS – Semester 2)
- BUU44621 Designing Social Innovation (5 ECTS – Semester 1)
- BUU44622 Delivering Social Impact (5 ECTS – Semester 2)
- BUU44640 International Finance (5 ECTS – Semester 1)
- BUU44650 Derivatives (5 ECTS – Semester 2)
- BUU44660 Company & Business Law (5 ECTS – Semester 2)
- BUU44670 Audit and Assurance (5 ECTS – Semester 1)