|Module Name||Security and Privacy|
|ECTS Weighting ||5 ECTS|
|Semester Taught||Semester 2|
|Module Coordinator/s||Dr. Stephen Farrell|
Module Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Discuss information security and demonstrate an understanding of the context in which information security operates in terms of safety, environmental, social and economic aspects;
- Analyse, assess and choose among techniques for mitigating important security and privacy threats through appropriate controls, often involving the application of cryptographic protocols and primitives;
- Assess security and privacy risks in realistic application contexts;
- Reason about issues of privacy with respect to data accumulation and release.
The objectives of this module are: to develop an in-depth understanding of risk, data privacy, threats and risks of security breaches, an awareness of computer security (cryptographic) and protocol techniques, and an ability to understand and make appropriate and ethical decisions about securing data.
Specific topics covered include:
- Risk analysis, System and Network Security overview;
- Cryptography: Hash Functions, Symmetric and Asymmetric Algorithms, Key Agreement;
- Internet security and security standards: Public Key Infrastructure;
- Transport Layer Security (TLS), the e-mail ecosystem, the Domain Name System (DNS) and DNSSEC;
- Privacy: Email, Web and DNS privacy mechanisms and their impacts.
Teaching and Learning Methods
|Assessment Component||Brief Description||Learning Outcomes Addressed||% of Total||Week Set||Week Due|
|Examination||2 hour Exam (or similarly structured assignments if required due to pandemic)||L01, L02, L03, L04||80%||N/A||N/A|
|Essay||2 x Mid-Term Assignments||L01, L03||20%||Week 2||Week 8|
Examination if possible (or assignments if required due to pandemic) (2 hours, 100%).
Contact Hours and Indicative Student Workload
|Contact Hours (scheduled hours per student over full module), broken down by:||33 hours|
|Tutorial or seminar||0 hours|
|Independent study (outside scheduled contact hours), broken down by:||72 hours|
|Preparation for classes and review of material (including preparation for examination, if applicable)||36 hours|
|Completion of assessments (including examination, if applicable)||36 hours|
|Total Hours||105 hours|
Recommended Reading List
Module materials are all on-line and updated regularly at:
Prerequisite modules: N/A
Other/alternative non-module prerequisites: Basic knowledge of programming, networking and Internet protocols.